Connect

Small Business

Newest Most Read
Guest Blog
CONNOR BLAKLEY

'Learning differences' inspire teenpreneur to launch a successful marketing career

My entrepreneurial experience began with selling rocks. That quickly moved to lemonade stands and then turned to selling items on eBay. It all hit a pinnacle when I was in eighth grade and was diagnosed with a variety of 'learning differences.' When it comes to running a business, I have learned to focus on my strengths. I surround myself with people who counteract my weaknesses, which has proven to drastically improve my entrepreneurial mindset.

Lydia Coutré

'Smaller' gifts can go long way for Clinic's crowdfunding platform

In June, the Cleveland Clinic quietly launched its own crowdfunding platform, The Power of Every One, which highlights caregivers' ideas in need of funding that will support projects from basic science research to public health initiatives to clinical care programs. So far, with nearly 100 donors giving a total of more than $17,000, two of the three projects included in this first round have already reached their goals.

JUDY STRINGER clbfreelancer@crain.com

Q&A: Brett Lindsey, president and CEO, Everstream

Brett Lindsey said business has been a whirlwind since he spun Everstream from OneCommunity nearly two years ago. The Cleveland-based broadband company launched with 40 employees and a Northeast Ohio footprint. Today, it employs 115 people and calls itself a 'superregional' fiber-based network service provider with operations also covering the entire state of Michigan and portions of Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois.